Monday, January 28, 2008

The Dana Jacobson thing... my rant

As I have sat and watched the "church" respond to the comments that were supposedly spoken by a TV reporter who by all accounts had been drinking and then stepped in front of the microphone. I have read and watched many in the body of Christ have grabbed the torches and pitchforks and are calling for all to follow in a storming of the castle. Were the words used offensive? YES, but when did it become my job to mount an offensive? Maybe I missed it but I have not seen any public concern or compassion for the fact that this woman and countless others around the world are obviously far from a relationship with the Father who loves them so much. I think I could go on for some time but I think it would be best if I just throw out some questions that need to be addressed in light of this...
  • Why do we insist on demanding that those who are not Christ followers be held to the standards that we hold?
  • When did it become my job to fight for Jesus? He told us that these things would happen and not to worry about it because it was all about Him.
  • Do I personally care that there are people that I pass every day that are heading to a literal hell unless they respond to Christ's call?
  • It's time to realize that when we act this way it only confirms the suspicions and stereotypes that most people have about Christians and the church. Look at the comments and responses to the blogs and new stories and you should get the drift.
  • Would these situations be better opportunities for the Kingdom if we spent the time and energy we place on boycotts and pickets on prayer and personal discipleship?

A couple Scriptures I was reminded of:

The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that what it does is evil. -- John 7:7

Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.'[b] If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me. 22If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. Now, however, they have no excuse for their sin. 23He who hates me hates my Father as well. 24If I had not done among them what no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have seen these miracles, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: 'They hated me without reason -- John 15:20-25

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." -- John 16:33

No comments: