Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Book #2 -- Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki

The first time I encountered Robert Kiyosaki was on a PBS special. I recall watching most of the program and thinking "that;s was interesting". When I saw it again I thought that it would be a good thing to check one of his books. That was some time ago. I am a big believer that things often come to us right on time. This book was that.
While I do not agree with the principles of purchasing via debt I found what he has to say at the very least thought provoking and often inspiring. His persona; story is proof that the American Dream is still out there to be had.
There are many topics and points of emphasis in this book but I found two themes that returned to me as I read the text:
  1. Your education (whether it be in finances, management, skill development, or whatever) should never end. Continuing to add knowledge and skill as tools adds to your value.
  2. The goal is to stop just looking for ways to make money and to in turn look for ways to make the money you make work for you.

As I said, there are other themes but just carrying these away will give me much to ponder and work on. Another favorite author in the area of finance pointed out that people have a slaves mentality. There is no hope of ever having it different. Developing and putting to use knowledge and tools such as these can help me lead my family away from the slavery of living only paycheck to paycheck. This is one of those books that I think you have to be ready to read before it has value. When you think you may be, you should check it out.

No comments: