Saturday, April 21, 2007

Thoughts?... anyone? Seminary President reposnds to VT

What follows is an excerpt from this blog posting. Take the time to read the comments as well. Defiantly thought provoking. What think ye?

“Now if you’re a male student, will you just lift your hand for a moment so I can see you? Thank you for that commitment. God forbid that anything happen like this here, but each of you that just raised your hand said, ‘Never be more than two or three shots before I’m on him. Doesn’t matter how many of us he takes out. ‘ See, all you had to do was have six or eight rush him right at that time, and thirty-two people wouldn’t have died. Now folks, let’s make up our minds. I know we live in America where nobody gets involved in anybody else’s situation. That shall not be the rule here. Does everybody understand? You say, well I may be shot. Well, yeah, you may. Are you saved? You’re going to heaven. You know, it’s better than earth . . . Now one more time, how many male students are there? I’m counting on you.”

2 comments:

Scott said...

Amen. I’ve already had a very similar discussion. Most will run for safety. Some may try and help fellow students/classmates, but true heroes will be willing to lay down their life in order to save others. Of course this only makes sense if you have a relationship with Christ.

Scott said...

I went to the original blog where this article was posted and they were real harsh. I understand some of their points, but I took it differently. By accepting this comment, I am not suggesting that the students at VA Tech are inferior or wimps. But rather we should keep in mind that this is not our home. We have peace awaiting us on the other side. Not everyone is ready to face God. I cannot begin to imagine how I would have responded in such a horrifying ordeal. I would run into a burning house to save my family even if the chances were slim. Would I run in if I thought it was probably too late and I would just be adding to the casualties? I don’t know. I am not critical of those who were there. During the plane attacks of 9-11 we did not criticize the passengers in the first two planes because they couldn’t see what was just ahead of them. In the third plane they had the advantage of knowing their fate. They responded differently because they knew it was a no win situation. The victims at VA Tech didn’t have time to strategize or organize a defense. A classroom discussion vs. the actual shooting is incomparable.