Friday, April 27, 2007

The most important things... NFL Draft Edition


I know a guy that is so worried about what will happen to Brady Quinn in the draft on Saturday that he h as spent extra time this week setting up his cell phone so that he can get to the Internet but also so that the draft results are texted to him live as the picks are made. All because he has to be at work and cannot watch it live on TV. He does not know Brady personally, is not related, and obviously has no stake in the fortune he is about to acquire. The question comes to me; why is this so important to him? There are numerous rabbit trails to take on this but let me also add that this is a guy who is by his own admission struggling in his marriage and with his kids. He is also struggling to see any relation to how God fits into the equation of his life's circumstances.
I love sports and ND football as much as I think many but I am thinking that should I get to this point; I deserve whatever household item my wife deems fit banged off my noggin. I do not bring this up to cast stones in this guy's direction but rather to point out that the dangers of taking our focus off the important things that come in life and focusing on things that have no lasting meaning.
Robert Frost
"The reason why worry kills more people than work is that more people worry than work."

I am afraid that the above is too often true of us. Whether we are talking about our relationships (God, spouse, kids, co-workers, etc...) Or in dealing with ourselves we would rather stand back and analyze the situation than take action. I could say that "I need to lose 20 pounds" but unless I take the actions necessary to make a difference it is nothing more than a good thought. It's time to stop letting all those good thoughts be just that. Things that God is reminding me I need to make a priority:

  • letting my wife know how important she is by words AND actions (ie. knock some things off the honey do list)
  • tell some people around me how important they are to God
  • creating more memories/ experiences for my kids

What is it that you need to focus on?

By the way, I hope Brady is drafted by the Bears in a last minute trade. It's only 4 months until the first ND game!

No comments: