Thursday, April 19, 2007

Jack Bauer teaches Discipleship


I should probably write these for myself more often. Seems like I am constantly being reminded of the spiritual journey as I watch the adventures of Jack Bauer. This past Monday's episode brought a clear discipleship lesson to mind. It all ties back to Philippians 1:21. While I am keenly aware that Jack is far from a fruit bearing Christ follower, he stands for something greater than himself and realizes that his personal comforts, even his life are not of a greater value than his cause. What if we were to live like this practically? We are often consumed by what we need to do in order to have things as we would like them here in this lifetime. I am reminded of the scene in Gods and Generals when Stonewall Jackson is asked why he show no regard for his life or fear during the battle and he replies that he understands that God has appointed the number of days for each of us and nothing he could do would change that. If it is his day to die, then he will, no matter what he does. Because this principal in in play for Jack Bauer, he is free to live and act as a man who is already dead. Therefore he has nothing to lose. The famous missionary Jim Elliot said that "he is no fool who gives up something he cannot keep for something he cannot lose". If I have become dead to my sins and transgressions then I can understand and respond to the call that "to live is Christ, to die is gain". Sin and death no longer have power or a claim on me; I am free to live my life with an abandonment to God's will. How will Jack save Audrey? Only time will tell. I am thankful that even in a TV story God can make His truths clear. One last thought; we often equate living the Christian life as a sacrifice. Is it really a sacrifice if what we gain in return is FAR greater than anything we could ever give?

No comments: