Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Duty to Barak Obama


No matter my personal politics, feelings, insight, or beliefs I have a duty to our new President. Paul spelled this out to believers very clearly in 1 Timothy 2:1-4:


I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.


A few things jump out at me about this passage:


  • my duty of prayer is not reliant on the politics or religious affection of the one being prayed for

  • whether I voted for him or not I am to be thankful for the leadership that has been placed over me -- this may be a big challenge for me.

  • God wants ALL men to understand the truth, Presidents included (quite possibly especially)

  • this passage is directly in front of direction on proper worship. This can only mean that if I am not doing these things I am not doing all that I can to worship God in the way He desires.

I begin this very day committed to praying for our new Presidential Administration. I pray first and foremost that they hear and know the voice of God in truth. And that action follows that knowledge. Obama claims to have a saving knowledge of Jesus as Savior. I pray that he leads under His guidance.


No earthly kingdom will ever meet all expectations. The bar has been set VERY high for a number of reasons for this President. It behooves everyone to support him in prayer. The people of America (just as the Israelites in the Old Testament) have made their voice heard and have chosen a leader. It is now our duty to give support where we can and hold also to the Truth that sets men free.

No comments: