Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Book #10 - Breakout Churches by Thom Rainer

Seems like forever since I actually finished a book so I could post about it. This time of the year is always slow reading for me. I have little extra time and it seems that I start more books at the same time. Seems like the busier schedule kicks ADD into gear. I am confident that I can still reach my goal of 30 books in 2007. Just finishing my currently started ones will help put a major dent in my deficit.
I am wrapping up Thom Rainer's book, BREAKOUT CHURCHES . I think that this book should be added to the required reading list of every church staff member as well as every ministry student in school today. It is not a "magic formula" for a great church but the lessons provided could save many heart and head aches for it's readers.
The book is based on Jim Collins' GOOD TO GREAT (another book on my "to read" pile). It breaks down how 13 churches that Rainer's team compare to other churches that show basic similarities to them have achieved their breakout status. Stringent filtering guidelines were put into place to find these churches. The truths provided will keep me thinking about this book for some time I believe. It may well serve as a resource book as well. I am sure that I will be returning to selected chapters as the need arises.
I was surprised to understand how relevant this book is to where my church is at this time. I can easily see how we could go down the path to being a breakout church as well as how easily we could become distracted from what we have been called to do in our community and become a mediocre congregation. This book combine the principle of being an easy read along with a depth of information that is rare.

No comments: