Wednesday, November 5, 2008

2008 Election -- After Action Report

An After Action Report (AAR) is filed in the military and other places after any significant battle, test, incident or the like. This is my AAR of the election.
As the final results of the election continue to trickle in I have sat in reflection and realize that I have as many, if not more questions than answers. The war is over, all that is left is the mop up of small areas.
This may be a continued post, I'm not sure how many of these will come to my mind. These are coming in no special order, just as I can get them typed.

Will Christ Followers pray for the newly elected/ reelected even if they were not who they voted for?
We have a clear Biblical mandate to do so. See Rom. 13:1-7; 1 Pet. 2:13-17; 1 Tim. 2:1-2. Or did we really just vote so that we can complain and lob grenades the other direction if things didn't go the way we wanted. What about praying that the Spirit gets ahold of them before they take office and write/ pass any legislation.

How many voted for our first African-American President simply because of his skin color?
Isn't that the essence of racism? We have been told all along that this election will show if we are ready to move on as a society in race relations. They are estimating that Obama got 96% of the black vote. Did all of those voters really look at the issues instead of the color of the man's skin?

What if the Church was as energetic about being the Church and fulfilling the Great Commandment and the Great Commission as they have been about the candidates?
I venture to say that if that were the case the world would truly be getting changed. We would be seeing revival, transformation, and hope all around us. The truth of the matter is that the Church (especially here in America) is truly more like the nation of Israel in the book of Haggai than the body of Christ. We continue to think that we as individuals and a nation have a better blueprint for life than the one outlined for us by God. He is allowing us to have our wish just like He did in 1 Samuel 8 when the people wanted a king to lead them rather than God. Check how well that worked for them. All of the zeal and fire I have seen in person, online, on TV, etc in the past several weeks and yet we struggle to get enough people to have effective ministry happen in our local churches. It is just this type of pathetic focus that proves how weak we are.

Will it be a good thing that the Democrats have control of the White House, Senate, and House of Representatives at the same time?
All I know is they surely won't be able to say that they didn't have their chance to run things and prove that their philosophy of government is right. I have my suspicions, but they will get their shot. I hope that too much damage is not done on the wrong track.

Am I doing enough/ my part in regards to the things I have noted above?
Are my actions focused on unity, especially within the Body, or on creating an air of disunity? Am I willing to let God speak to me and direct my paths? We are a stubborn, stiff necked people and I am one of them.

That is all for now. Congrats to Mr Obama and Mr Biden. Once you take that oath you are my President and I will treat you as such. America Bless God!

No comments: