Thursday, December 27, 2007

It all started with a microwave...


My wife wanted an over the range microwave for her birthday. After spending some time shopping I took her with me to confirm that the one I chose was one that she liked. The intent was to purchase the unit, take it home and hang it, then spend the rest of the afternoon relaxing and watching some football. That's when it started. Every guy who has ever embarked on a simple fix it project will know what I am talking about. It was then that we were informed that we needed either a cabinet or a heavy shelf above the unit for it to be properly installed. This led to trips to several of the big box stores in search of the right cabinet at a good price. Feeling fulfilled at finding it and the needed accessories we headed home. Once home we discovered that we have more room than we planned at our ceiling and in fact the 18" cabinet would fit, thus another trip to the store. A bit of setup and prep work led me to discover that I was in fact not going to be able to reach the outlet already in the area and would have to install one in the new cabinet, another trip to the store!

Making a long story short ; a project I hoped to have completed by 4 PM on Sunday was in fact , with delays and general life stuff, completed at about 7 PM on Monday. The upside is a great new appliance, more storage space, and a happy wife. The rumor is now that the wallpaper in the kitchen is old and maybe tile would look good on that wall...

No comments: