Thursday, November 1, 2007

Book #19 - The Way of the Wild Heart by John Eldredge

I finished this book in a hurry. I had borrowed it from the library and it was coming due. I had already renewed it once so that wasn't an option.
Eldredge recommends that you read his previous works (@ least Wild at Heart), which I had, before you read this book. While I found it beneficial in some ways I think that one could quite easily just read this one. His books are always easy to read.
I thought so many times that this book was written for me at this time. I know much of this has to do with the fact that the common threads that we share ( which is one of the main points of the book) are what mold and make or break us. As man who is doing his best o raise 3 kids, two of them teenage boys, and who has recently lost his father, the messages of this book resonated with my life.
When we place into perspective the stages that we all have or should go through on the "masculine journey" it becomes obvious that guys get damaged when the steps get skipped or shortened. This is definitely a book that I will look to own personally so that I can both re read those passages a ran through as well as return to as a sort of reference.
A couple personal things that I take from this book were that I need to join in the journey with my boys and allow them to join with me. I do not need to present a perfect image for them, because I cannot. They need to see the real me hashing out life as I work along the journey and lead them in theirs. I also need to do a better job of helping my kids "collect experiences". We have always been great at providing what they need but this is an area that should be improved upon. These are the times that memories are made. As with most any author you will likely not agree with all that Eldredge says and that's OK. There is so much truth here you cannot help but be a better man/ parent/ son/ Christ-follower from the experience.

No comments: