Thursday, July 19, 2007

What I learned on the way to Multnomah Falls



Last week while in Oregon I had the opportunity to see Multnomah Falls. Pictures cannot do this work of art justice. The waterfall measures in at over 600 feet and is truly incredible from any vantage point. What you cannot see in the accompanying photo is that off to the right of the bridge starts a trail. This trail proceeds over the bridge and on up the side of the hill for approx. a mile in order to reach an observation platform at the top of the falls (also unseen in the photo). The path, while paved, I would estimate varies from 30-40 degrees of incline the whole way to the top. I began to realize during the climb and have had even further reflection on the trip and am amazed at how much that journey is like our own discipleship. What follows are several things that I have taken from the experience. I may need to add more later as I gain even more perspective. These come in no particular order of importance. They all have significance in my mind.

  • There are lots of people on the trail. We often feel like we are stuck only within our circle of friends and church members. This is a trick of the enemy to isolate us.
  • There are lots of differing levels of maturity on the trail. Maturity does not equal age. There were younger and older people who had never been to a place like this as well as those who were more seasoned.
  • Take time to enjoy the view! If you just put your head down and climbed the trail you missed an awful lot. There were views of the falls, the Columbia River, railways, interstate highway, just to name a few. We need to do a better job of taking in what God is doing in the world around us while we are making the journey.
  • Sometimes people get hurt on the trail. I ran into a girl who was I believe with her mom and sister who had turned her ankle. They had stopped to rest it for a few minutes and were going to begin to help her back down. I got about as bad a charlie horse in my left calf as possible. I was about a third of the way up and had to make a decision. Go back down or go ahead. I decided that I needed to finish what had been started and that since I was likely to have a pain in my leg anyway I might as well get the reward of the view from the top. At that point I felt more angry than hurt about my injury. It was shortly after this that I ran into the injured girl and her family. Two thoughts ran through my mind as I continued; Philippians 4:13 and the fact that we have been studying Haggai and that giving up is the cop out way to go.
  • You need partners on the trail. There are tons of people on the trail and we don't help one another. That's just plain dumb. We have grown up with the lie that our journey/ relationship with God is a private thing. It was never intended to be that way. We are to share the journey. Bud and Matt had gone on ahead as I was going slower, stopped to take a few photos, and then got my Charlie horse; which made the climb even slower. Matt called on the cell when I didn't show up and gave a word of encouragement. As I was getting close Bud came back down a ways, met me and walked back the rest of the way with me. That was a great reminder of our need for brotherhood on the trail.
  • All of the work is worth it!!! I cannot say this enough. I cannot image the regret had I not finished. I would have missed the stream leading to the falls, the view from the top, and the knowledge and feeling of accomplishment. All the more I am encouraged to strive on to finish the race that is set before me...

You sure do learn a lot when you make a journey. Next is the application to everyday life.

1 comment:

Matt Maloney said...

Great Post Paul. As I was climbing that mountain I also thought their is a lot of spiritual correlation. You are right we need each other. We cant make it on our own. There was several times I stopped and was tempted to give up. It was hard and I was tired. How often do we want to give spiritaully because it is hard and tiring? How often do we want to give up when we feel we are in it by ourselves.